RE: Sparkies

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Sparkies
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 18:06:02 +0100

hold on guys you need to know what is being quoted for here, for example
does this include cat5 termination to faceplates and the faceplates? Ditto
for ct100 speaker cable etc. What termination is provided at the node zero
end?

I assume the work is being done at the construction stage? ...also the
construction method makes a difference to the amount of work involved.

Is certification of the cat 5 cabling included?

It does sound expensive but you also need to take into account the number
of
points installed not just the total length of the cable, even if the
installer is just a bog standard sparkie they don't come cheap. the average
length of the runs is 14.5 M which is pretty short in office building terms
so labour costs will be a higher proportion of the total when compared to
more traditional data cabling installations. In most modern office
buildings
the ducting/raised floors/risers would also be in place making the job
easier.

If he is including supply termination and fixing of 162 single outlet RJ45s
then it might be worth asking for a price for just cable installation.

more info needed to take a proper view :) and despite the above he may
still
be ripping you off!

Cheers
Mick