OT (surprise, surprise) Getting data off dead disk

  • To: "UKHA List \(E-mail\)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT (surprise, surprise) Getting data off dead disk
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:43:44 +0100

I have a bit of a problem at the moment, one of my machines has suddenly
failed to boot, with the problem being the hard disk. I have taken the disk
out and tried it as a slave in another machine, but doing that renders the
other machine unbootable. I can only assume that the disk is badly damaged.
Is there any way I am likely to be able to recover the data from this disk
myself, if not does anyone have any experience of data recovery firms.
Fortunately the vast majority of my data is on my network machine which
backs up every night to a second disk. The only information I need off this
disk is a handful of html pages, so I am hopeful that if I can access the
disk then I have a pretty good chance of recovering the data. Any
suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards

Graham