Re: OT (surprise, surprise) Getting data off dead disk

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>, "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: OT (surprise, surprise) Getting data off dead disk
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:07:50 -0000

Graham

a dodgy slave disc shouldn't render the machine unbootable should it? Are
you
sure there isn't another problem? I thought I had a kaput SCSI disc once
until I notice a bent pin ;)

As to data recovery firms I haven't used one for years but I can tell you
that they used to be damn expensive. Probably cheaper to rewrite the HTML.

If you think the problem is the drive electronics then you could try
swapping
the platter enclosure with an identical disc. I know this isn't possible on
lot of modern discs but it can be done on some older ones.

One final straw to clutch at....if you or someone else have accessed the
html
pages from another machine then they might be in that machines browser
cache.
A long shot but worth trying.

HTH
Mick