RE: Neat and quiet (but cheap) PCs for home

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Neat and quiet (but cheap) PCs for home
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:20:46 +0100

>Or a crafty hiding place for a quiet PC!....
>
>James H (wondering how to run CAT5 between the MP server and loft
without
>being chastised [can get CAT5 from loft to sitting room easily as I
have
>galvanised conduit running outside for RF aerial feeds & poss
KAT5])

I've got a "spare" laptop which I hope will be up to the job, - a
Toshiba
Tecra 550CDT, - it's a P266 with 64MB, and it has a TV-out. I plan to hide
that away somewhere, connected to the bedroom TV for display, the bedroom
HiFi for sound, and use an IRMAN and a one-for-all remote for control....

Failing that, I'll buy a slimline desktop case and put my spare ABIT BP6 in
it, with a single Celeron 533 (which I also have a couple of floating
around), a spare VGA card with TV out, then everything else as above...

Only tricky bit will be sneaking it in without SWMBO noticing... :-)

Paul G.