RE: "Hackers take to the air" from the BBC

I think security is a major concern and as anyone whos been on IRC for the
last couple of days will know its an issue for me.  Being in central london
I cannot rely on security through obscurity as Mark and others might living
in Ireland and elsewhere round the country where there is possibly less
wireless users.

However I believe there are a number of things that might be advisable to
do
if you were being really paranoid.  They fall into two categories, ensuring
no-one else uses your network and two, ensuring no-one can work out what
you
are sending across your network.

i. Ensure your dhcp server only distributes addresses based on known MAC
address.
ii. Change SSID on wireless bridge to something other than the default.
iii. disable SSID broadcasts from the birdge and manually set the SSID on
the client machines
iv. Consider using encrypted citrix services rather than TS (which I dont
believe supports encryption)
v. Never use telnet or other plain text protocols across your wireless lan.
Use ssh instead.
vi. Web browsing from an epod, ipaq etc could be secured by building an SSL
enabled proxy on your home network.
vii. For whats it worth use 128 WEP where possible.
viii. Ensure latest firmware installed on bridge (short term fixes for the
airsnort attacks should be coming out fairly soon).
ix. Airsnort attacks rely on capturing between 100mb to 1gb of packets from
the wireless lan before being able to decrypt the packet data.  Irregular
use at non-regular times might make it harder for an attacker to collect
enough data to be able to decrypt.  A form of security through obscurity
but
limiting to the user ;-)

Can anyone suggest other useful things to secure your wireless lan?

Thanks
kieran