RE: Was OT Widescreen TV - Extended warranties

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Was OT Widescreen TV - Extended warranties
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 19:36:18 +0100

I know all about this stuff as I fix white goods and know a lot of guys
that
do the brown.

Extended warranties are a rip-off the companies (mainly Comet and Currys or
DFS groups as they should be called) are just playing the numbers game. On
washer costing about £250-350 you would expect one or two repairs in the
five year period so ergo at an average of £70 a repair you make a profit on
selling a warranty at £150, plus you have the interest on the dosh in the
bank. The Comet offer of getting your money back is a no-hoper IMO as 80%
of
appliances need a repair inside the five year period, particularly on a
washer dryer!

K.