RE: Bit the bullet...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Bit the bullet...
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:15:12 -0800

Philip,

I got HH about 18 months ago and, while it is faster than a PSTN
connection,
I do not think it is good value for money in the least! Usually I actually
quite like BT as a company but recently they have f***ed up more than once
with billing and the ISDN access through HH is not that much faster than a
good PSTN IMO. Surprisingly to some I use ISDN at home and PSTN at work
(internet is not that important at work) and really, if you are getting 46K
or more on PSTN you are not gaining enough to justify the cost as far as I
am concerned. You do get a little bit more bandwidth as far as I can see,
but again that is very dependant on internet traffic, as with PSTN, and
your
ISP's servers. I am using an external ISDN Elsa Microlink adaptor and it's
okay, but the software that comes with it is not the best.

I an currently moving house and I will not be getting HH in the new house,
second, dedicated, line for net access is a far more sensible option at the
moment for home users as it's only £10 a month (give or take) as opposed to
£33 for HH, with the calls taken into account. My bill is consistently
around the £115 a quarter for HH and I can reduce that to about £70 for two
lines or £35-45 for one line, calls inclusive.

Also did you all know that if you order BT Surftime from your work phone
number it gets added to the BT bill at source and not to your home number,
not that I would ever advocate taking the business for a ride but if your
company uses dial-up access you get cheap net calls through the day and
free
personal access at night as you are not limited to using the one dial up
location ;o) I use BT Internet at work so I get free access at night and
all
weekend because the office is shut anyway, of course it's my own business
so
that's my choice!

There are other choices out there other than HH if you are prepared to look
for them but all seem to be a compromise of some sort including satellite,
DSL and cable access if you can get them! Me and a mate that now does
systems for a large brewery have tried to track down some way of getting
fast cheap access for two years now as we've been on the net for over six
years and, as home users, the choices are limited but at least there are
some.

Na, think I'll hold out for cable or cheaper than BT DSL :o)

K.