Bit the bullet...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Bit the bullet...
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:21:18 -0000

I finally got so cheesed off at my crappy internet connection speed that
I've ordered Home Highway ... it goes against several earlier decisions but
with no ADSL even on the horizon and Cable Modems rapidly heading that way
too then I was going to be stuck with 1.7kbytes/sec transfer rates and
typically 1 minute 20 seconds wait to dial up and connect to my ISP!

£39.99 a month for a Home Highway line, £7 worth of inclusive calls and
6pm - 8am on weekdays and 6pm Friday - 8am Monday as free internet access
periods with BT acting as my ISP. Gets installed next Friday...

Now ... ideally I'd like to find a reasonably (OK *cheap*) ISDN router so
that I can just plug it into my existing network however that's not likely
to happen ... the people who had the house before me left their BT Speedway
ISDN TA (complete with manual and CD but unfortunately no serial cable)
here
when they moved out so I do have an external ISDN "modem"
already. What I
was wanting to know is ... has anyone actually compared external and
internal ISDN "modems" for performance, reliability and speed? I
need to be
able to share the ISDN connection across my network (including my ePod).

Any comments and/or suggestions are gratefully appreciated...

Phil