RE: Re: Caller ID offer from Pathway Data Ltd!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Caller ID offer from Pathway Data Ltd!
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <markh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:52:17 -0000

Well got the meteor today, installed it tonight and everything seems fine
so
far. The meteor appears to "steal" the first ring but other tones
come
through without problem. It could be HH or maybe the digibox always
"stole"
the first ring and I never noticed since I was not investigating.

No help to either of the guys with problems unfortunately but I guess it
removes any incompatibility problem with meteor and HH.

Have to write my app to use it now rather than relying on hyperterminal
since I did not buy the ActiveCID SW. Any suggestions for a free app to
tide
me over would be appreciated. I downloaded a couple and they are
crippleware
(expiring after a few calls) or demos.

Mark.

is definately
> > affected when the Meteor is active.
>
> Hmmm... not got mine yet... well I don't think so, it is going to
> work and I
> have been out of the office today cos I was snowed in.
>
> Seems odd that it would affect the ring tones at all. AIUI,
> phones generate
> their own ring tone in response to the signal on the line rather
> than using
> it to "time" the tones but cutting the signal during the
ring can do odd
> things.
>
> A while back when my HH broke leaving me with no phone at all for
> the whole
> Xmas period (and BT only compensate for "working days" :( ),
the
> phones used
> to do weird rings on their own in response to the "status
check"
> that the HH
> box does. My box was telling BT every 10-15 minutes or so that
> something was
> fuxored... apparently it generated a hell of a lot of log info
> during the 5
> days or so it was offline... hehe. The Sky digibox sometimes
> creates a ring
> signal that ends up as a rin...bleugh when it reports back to
> "Big Brother",
> although I have not noticed it recently.
>
> I guess you have tried unplugging all of the handsets except each one
in
> turn to make sure one of them is not "transmitting" over the
line.
> Apparently some (notably BT) phones are quite bad at disrupting other
> devices on the line.
>
> Try unplugging the meteor and ringing yourself (from a mobile or the
PC or
> something) and cutting off at various points during the ring tone
cycle to
> attempt to recreate the effect. Might give an indication of how the
meteor
> is altering the signal... maybe it is picking up the ring tones and
> attempting to interpret caller ID, suspending the line signal to all
> internal phones just enough to interrupt the cycle.
>
> Hope you followed that... getting late and had couple drinks to help
me
> sleep so forgive me if it is just gibberish :)
>
> Anyway, as soon as I get mine I will post my result here. Kinda
annoyed I
> just transferred all my HA stuff to a laptop for the "inbuilt
UPS" but it