RE: Re: Caller ID offer from Pathway Data Ltd!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re: Caller ID offer from Pathway Data Ltd!
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:07:52 -0000

>I guess you have tried unplugging all of the handsets except each one
in
>turn to make sure one of them is not "transmitting" over the
line.
>Apparently some (notably BT) phones are quite bad at disrupting other
>devices on the line.

Not yet - I only had a short time in which to do some quick tests. Although
what I can say is that if it >is< being contributed to by another
device on
the line, then it definately only does so when the Meteor is connected too.
- when the meteor is inactive, my phone behaviour is 100% correct, 100% of
the time.

>Try unplugging the meteor and ringing yourself (from a mobile or the PC
or
>something) and cutting off at various points during the ring tone cycle
>attempt to recreate the effect. Might give an indication of how the
meteor
>is altering the signal... maybe it is picking up the ring tones and
>attempting to interpret caller ID, suspending the line signal to all
>internal phones just enough to interrupt the cycle.

Yeah, this is exactly what I did last night, sat in the study, I rangy my
home number from my mobile, and while the phones were ringing, I plugged in
& unplugged the meteor several times. Sure enough, every time I plugged
the
Meteor in, the ringing went haywire, and every time I unplugged it, it went
back to normal...

Paul G.