RE: Homeseer and Dyndns

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Homeseer and Dyndns
  • From: Paul Miller <pmiller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:33:57 -0000

why must you look up your IP address via dyndns? the whole idea of
dynamic DNS is that the name is fixed even if the IP address changes.
i.e. if you have a name of ian.dyndns.org set-up for your host by
entering http://ian.dyndns.org into a
browser it will get to your site,
beware its quite normal for software such as homeseer to run on a
different port other than 80 the default www port i.e. if your running
homeseer on port 81 you would enter http://ian.dyndns.org:81 it is
important you enter the colon with port number and also that you include
the http:// as its not on the default port the browser needs to know
what type of service its connecting to.

You will problely require a mate on the internet to keep trying your url
for you, my experience with dynamic DNS is that you may think the
connection is down when in fact its your PC caching the old information
still. if you can get to your machine by pinging its IP address, then
try pinging the dynamic dns name if that resolves to the correct IP
address and works then you should be able to connect to your homeseer
site.

DONT FORGET FIREWALLS, PROXYS, NATS AND CACHES CAN ALL CONFUSE MATTERS.