Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 10:49 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] WHA, controlling MP3's

My 2p worth....

I currently have the following setup:
      HomeVision controller
      Dedicated HA PC
            with ~6GB of MP3s
            1 soundcard linked to the lounge HiFi
      Pronto remote

I have created some screens in HomeVision that I use to select the tracks to
play, by using the Pronto remote with a A-Z, 0-9 keyboard.  I created the
pronto "keyboard" using "standard" remote codes, so that HomeVision would be
able to decode and recognise them.

In addition to this I have written a "helper" application that runs in
parallel to the HomeVision software and communicates using DDE.  This
application performs a number of tasks including the following:
      Watches for variable changes, to determine what MP3s to play
      Downloads weather information every 15 mins & updates HomeVision
      Watches the 1-wire bus
      Downloads TV Listings once a week
      Forces HomeVision to display (overlaid) information of favourite TV
programs about to start.
      ...and lots more when I think of it.

The Weather, TV Listings and MP3 Listing are all held on SQL Server.

So this is what happens.
      I bring up the music selection screen in HomeVision
      Select the track(s)
      The HomeVision helper app then plays the tracks on the lounge HiFi
(switching it on, and selecting AUX if necessary)

I also plan to install >1 sound card to enable multi-zone control.  As I'm
not using WinAmp I have more control, so should be able to independently
control >1 soundcards.

Hope this helps
Graham