RE: Philips Pronto

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Philips Pronto
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:14:24 +0100

Another thing I have found useful is to create split panels with basic
controls for multiple devices available on the same screen. How you do this
will depend on what/how you currently tend to operate your kit. I suggest
you spend a week BEFORE you do ANY pronto programming just making a note of
how you tend to use your current remotes - are there some which are
constantly by your side on the sofa... are there devices which you tend to
always operate together... and so on... The idea should then be to create
panels that mirror how you currently operate your kit, rather than forcing
yourself to adjust to a new control paradigm....

Paul G.

>From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Philips Pronto
>Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:07:44 +0100
>
>Being a Pronto pioneer, (I pre-ordered one from the US before it was
>actually launched - sad but true) I had to set mine up in the old days
>before Pronto Edit.
>
>If I was doing it all again I'd still do all the learning disconnected
from
>the PC.
>
>Make sure that when you do the learning you hold the button down (on
the
>original remote) until the Pronto beeps. This way it will be able to
work
>out which bits of the code repeat, and which ones don't. Don't do the
>learning too close to the TV or PC screen, or under fluorescent lights.
>
>If you want to learn more about IR coding, Barry Gordon has written two
>documents, one of which explains the Octet coding scheme you get when
you
>double click on the "learned" legend, and the other goes into
detail about
>how to roll your own X-10 codes. Both have stood me in good stead when
>endeavouring to find new codes. I actually managed to find out how to
get
>into the service menu on my Plasma, by writing a VBA enhanced Excel
>spreadsheet armed with this info. It generated every possible code, and
it
>was simply a case of creating a ccf and trying them in sequence. Again,
>sad,
>but true. Both documents are available for download from Remote
Central.

>Before you do the learning, just set up some simple text based panels
on
>the
>PC. Don't worry about the layout, just try to cram as many buttons on
each
>page as you can. Delete all of the Pronto's built in templates - you
don't
>need them.
>
>Once you've done the learning, upload the configuration to the PC, and
do
>all your fancy design work. Hide the panels that contain all the codes
and
>alias to them from the pretty side.
>
>The reason I suggest this, is that if you keep your codes separate from
>your
>design work, it makes it much easier to fine tune your configuration as
you
>go along.
>
>If you want the "hard" buttons to have the same function
throughout all