RE: Philips Pronto

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Philips Pronto
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:07:44 +0100

Being a Pronto pioneer, (I pre-ordered one from the US before it was
actually launched - sad but true) I had to set mine up in the old days
before Pronto Edit.

If I was doing it all again I'd still do all the learning disconnected from
the PC.

Make sure that when you do the learning you hold the button down (on the
original remote) until the Pronto beeps. This way it will be able to work
out which bits of the code repeat, and which ones don't. Don't do the
learning too close to the TV or PC screen, or under fluorescent lights.

If you want to learn more about IR coding, Barry Gordon has written two
documents, one of which explains the Octet coding scheme you get when you
double click on the "learned" legend, and the other goes into
detail about
how to roll your own X-10 codes. Both have stood me in good stead when
endeavouring to find new codes. I actually managed to find out how to get
into the service menu on my Plasma, by writing a VBA enhanced Excel
spreadsheet armed with this info. It generated every possible code, and it
was simply a case of creating a ccf and trying them in sequence. Again,
sad,
but true. Both documents are available for download from Remote Central.

Before you do the learning, just set up some simple text based panels on
the
PC. Don't worry about the layout, just try to cram as many buttons on each
page as you can. Delete all of the Pronto's built in templates - you don't
need them.

Once you've done the learning, upload the configuration to the PC, and do
all your fancy design work. Hide the panels that contain all the codes and
alias to them from the pretty side.

The reason I suggest this, is that if you keep your codes separate from
your
design work, it makes it much easier to fine tune your configuration as you
go along.

If you want the "hard" buttons to have the same function
throughout all
devices (as I do on mine) set them up in the home page only and leave them
blank for all of the devices - they will filter down.

On mine:

Volume and mute control the amp whatever the mode.

Left is system off, and right is TV off (for turning off the panel when
using the Digibox as a tuner)

Program up and down change Sky channels.

with the following exceptions:

In CD mode:
Mute is pause
Prog +/- are track +/-