RE: Newbie Questions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie Questions
  • From: "Michael Mc Aree" <michael.mcaree@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:12:46 +0100

Welcome Terry,

In your semi-permanent position I would go for X10, simply because you can
unplug it as you leave. If you plan to have a PC on all the time then have
serious look at HomeSeer (http://www.homeseer.com/), If not then
have a
serious look at HomeVision.(see Marks Site: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/
(look at it anyway!!)) These will let you develop macros and control your
X10 stuff amongst other things. I'm not sure about the X10 'Wireless'
camera
as it needs a wire for its power supply!!! I use two basic B&Q cameras
plugged into WINTV cards. Works for me. You can use voice control but it is
hard work at times which, personally speaking defeats the purpose of HA. I
tried it for a week but gave up after finding myself standing 3ft from the
lightswitch and repeating "Living Room Light on" 4 times!! I
began to look
like a loon. There are some on this list who have it Voice control working
well and I'm sure they will respond.
Simple questions are what this list is all about :-) Ask one and you will
get excellent answers before the core group go off on a tangent only to
return 40 messages later :-)

With regards to your funny power requirements - someone wil know the score
on that one, probably before I finish this message!

Have fun.

Michael
BELFAST

Playback/Voice
> Recognition etc.
>
> Anyway, I've been thinking that it might be good to add a little
> Automation
> to the equation: specifically light's and perhaps some basic appliance
> control. I also want
> To install a camera or two to use with my P.C. / Projector for Video
> conferencing and stuff...
>
> What I'm looking for now are some recommendations on where I
> should start on
> the Automation side. I am a whiz with PC / Cabling etc. but not much
of an
> electrician. ;-]
>
> Specific Questions:
>
> Is X10 the only and best option? Who is the cheapest UK supplier? Are
the
> X10 wireless camera's any good? Will I be able to use a voice control
> application such as Dragon Naturally Speaking Prefferred to control
X10
> hardware?
>
> Also are any of you aware of any problems I may encounter taking X10
> hardware across the water to the two pronged world of Norwegian power
> sockets? I curently use a load of UK appliances here which I have
either
> re-plugged or use adaptors with...
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can offer me,
>
> Cheers
>
> Terry
>
> Terry.thorpe@xxxxxxx <mailto:Terry.thorpe@xxxxxxx>
> Sperry Sun - Halliburton