RE: FW: [dvduk] New Sky boxes (DVDUK : OT)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: FW: [dvduk] New Sky boxes (DVDUK : OT)
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:00:30 +0100

Thats what annoys me about the way they are selling Digital to the Great
Unwashed.

They say that Digital TV will do for TV what the CD did for Music. It will
if they implement it in the same way but they arent. What they are offering
is something like 192K/128K MP3 and reserving the right to drop the bitrate
for "selected" channels.

Just like CD compared to FM radio, there will be no wierd and wonderful
wavey lines or crackles as there are on Terrestrial TV, but at least with
analogue you can still make something out from the snow/lines/whatever.
Digital either works or it doesnt. It has a sort of partway stage when
everything gets huge great pixels on the screen but IMO that isnt a good
picture :-(

Digitised TV straight out of the camera requires about 216Mbit. It can be
compressed down to 34Mbit with no ill effects. At 8Mbit you are hard
pressed
to spot the difference on most material, but they are taking it as low as
2Mbit :-(

To achieve that level of compression quality suffers and so does error
correction. When a mistake occurs it takes much longer to rebuild the
picture.

The more choice promised by Digital doesnt seem to mean more programme
choice but greater choice of where and when to watch it. Do you want to
watch Neighbours, Eastenders, Corrie, Home & Away on Living, UK Gold,
UKGold2, BBC1, BBC Choice etc.

I still find times when there is absolutely nothing I want on ;-(

<RANT MODE>
And like you I object to them putting up the price for more channels when
you can only watch one. I probably only ever look at 10 anyway.

I would prefer the option of being able to buy individual channels at 50p
per month as an alternative to having 100 channels forced on me for £30 per
month just because I want one that is only in the top package. They could
also then implement Pay Per View for what IMHO it was intended
for....Occasional Viewing. Something on a channel I dont normally receive,
"no problem Sir", press the button and we will charge you 75p to
watch it
for the day. If I find I like that channel I can add it and they get an
extra 50p every month.
</RANT MODE>

Keith

who'd
> want something
> like that eh? I mean whatever next? They'll be wanting to go from
> 405 lines
> to 625 soon and then I bet you those decadent pussies will want to add
> colour too! I know ... lets scupper their plans ... let's design a
system
> that's pretty much obsolete from the start and then force everyone
into it
> by selling the analogue waveband.
>
> Oh ... those "free" boxes to watch free to air broadcasts
... yes, they're
> free as long as you pay a subscription. Yes, I know it's not
> quite free but
> it's nearly free isn't it? Oh yes ... you still have to pay your
> TV licence
> ... the actual definition of what it's for is getting pretty fuzzy now
but
> we still want you to pay it. Oh yes sir ... you can get your free box
> without paying a subscription ... that'll be £400 sir.
>
> Sir?
>
> Sir!...
>
> Phil

its
> > > only recently
> > >
> > > Is S-Video a "US" standard? I seem to think it's
been around