Re: FW: [dvduk] New Sky boxes (DVDUK : OT)

Geez, dont be so bloody pedantic the lot of you!

Tim's post used as a template!

>When was Svideo a US standard? SCART is just a plug and socket
>standard.

If you walk into walmart in the states to buy a TV, it will have an S-Video
socket presented as a mini-din.

If you walk into comet in the UK to buy a TV, it will have a SCART socket.
It may or may not support S-Video.

I kinda took that as meaning that S-Video sockets are standard on US
equipment, SCART is standard on EU kit.

My TV can now support S-video via SCART, so I know the difference between a
connector standard and a signal standard, but if you specify that you want
TV with S-video, 99% of sales guys wil point you at a set with a mini-din
connector, not one that supports Svideo over SCART.

>How do you propose hooking up an Svideo VCR that doesn't output RGB
>without using Svideo? You might use Svideo over SCART, but you'll be
>using Svideo nonetheless. I NEED an Svideo output from Sky, and I had
>go and pay out £65 for a converter box.

Easy! use the RF connector! the fact that you don't takes you out of the
mass market. My mother only recently experienced hooking a VCR to a telly
bia the SCART lead, becayse I couldn't beileve the poor picture quality she
was getting and insisted on buying her one.

The vast majority of the populus don't care, and the fact remains:
composite
video from a sky box is still a million times better than NTL's digital
Cable, Telewest's Digital Service, OnDigital, or any terrestrial analog
service I have ever seen!

>Most AV amps will switch Svideo, only the really expensive ones (like
the
>Meridian 861) will switch a SCART feed.

Considering that SCART is, as we say, just a connector,, which carries
Comsite or RGB video, I find it hard to believe that even the cheapest of
AV
amps won't switch composite video

>The current hardware is perfectly capable of generating an Svideo
signal,
>but Sky for reasons known only to themselves won't switch it on.

Because the product is aimed at the mass markets only. Those who care will
purchase convertors. If the digibox *did* have S-Video output, guys like us
would only bitch at how poor the quality was anyways...