RE: FW: [dvduk] New Sky boxes (DVDUK : OT)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: FW: [dvduk] New Sky boxes (DVDUK : OT)
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:59:24 +0100

RF)

> Well, gee, S-video is a US standard, here we use SCART. its only
recently
> that sets have started to come with NTSC capability, and S-video.

Ian,

When was Svideo a US standard? SCART is just a plug and socket standard.
How
do you propose hooking up an Svideo VCR that doesn't output RGB without
using Svideo? You might use Svideo over SCART, but you'll be using Svideo
nonetheless. I NEED an Svideo output from Sky, and I had to go and pay out
£65 for a converter box.

Most AV amps will switch Svideo, only the really expensive ones (like the
Meridian 861) will switch a SCART feed.

The current hardware is perfectly capable of generating an Svideo signal,
but Sky for reasons known only to themselves won't switch it on.

<Tim smartly dismounts soapbox>

BTW I agree with you. As I've posted before, I think that TiVo's biggest
handicap is the lack of a digital tuner. What's the point if you can't
record one program while you watch another. I use Sky digital exclusively
as
my 'TV' tuner. I'll be first in the queue, but I'll get the same
independent
installer who put my 80cm dish up to put it in

Tim.