RE: Re: Anyone seen the X10 Mains Sockets on LetsAutomate?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Anyone seen the X10 Mains Sockets on LetsAutomate?
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:56:11 +0100

This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet,
a Business Online Group company. http://www.thefreeinternet.net
> Looking at the pictures of the unit, it does not seem it would be
> that hard to have the X10 part behind the switch making essentially a
> single socket single gang version. This would also allow development

Something I thought that might be possible - but a 47mm deep box (deepest I
know of) might not be deep enough.

> of a 2 gang 2 socket version by doubling up the switch and
> electronics. Not sure how this would affect back box depth though,
> but I would be happier having to replace all my back boxes with
> deeper ones than losing all my double sockets but if it could fit
> into a "standard" back box it would be perfect.

The other option you could consider is mounting a 1G box next to a 2G box
and put a DIN appliance module into the 1G with a blanking plate on the
front.  I am assuming here that a DIN appliance module would fit into a 1G
47mm box...  Not having any I don't know the physical dimensions.

Just tried the above and my DIN MCB will NOT fit into a 1G box - however it
will fit into a 2G box.  It is only a single width module (I think
appliance
modules require 2 ways), so a 47mm box would be necessary, which would
detract from the aesthetics (or WAF).  If Mike could make available the
control unit as a standalone item, then I can see that fitting into a 1G
box.

http://www.egroups.co.uk/files/ukha_d/Pictures/box_DIN.jpg
shows from top to
bottom: 2G 47mm box with a single module DIN MCB, 1G 47mm box, dual 35mm
box - can take 2 single gang outlets side by side, eg. phone and single
socket, or possible 2 single sockets each X10 controlled (subject to
fitting
Mike's control unit separately).....

James