RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [Project] Kbd/LCD device
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:08:18 -0000

I like the thought but this works for IM based on people logging into a
central server. I think we will end up going down the central server route
(or
a group of resilient central servers NOT necessarily all being PCs) at some
point but I realise some people have qualms about this. I think this is a
good
idea but the status (statii in plural? ;) should not be hard coded rather
each
device should be allowed to independantly set its own list of Statii. The
challenge for the Management console will then be to handle this free
format
status. One possible way would be to group them for example an Alarm
Condition
Group for items requiring attention. Oh well time to grab a sandwich!

Mick

Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx> said:

> There's some thoughts here though...
>
> IM has some interesting features that could be directly mapped so some
> useful functions in a HA scenario...
>
> IM uses "presence information" to set instantly changeable
status modes,
> such as:
> online
> offline
> busy
> on the phone
> out to lunch
> appear offline
> Be right back
> away
>
> etc...
>
> From a device perspective, I reckon it could be useful to implement a
> similar ability for any device on the network to independantly set
it's
> status to any of several modes, such as:
>
> online
> offline
> locked
> do not disturb
> alarm
>
> etc...
>
> The device could switch between modes independantly according to it's
own
> local programming, depending on various conditions, or the controller
could
> set it into any mode (for instance, a lighting controller which is in
the
> Home cinema room could be set to "do not disturb" mode when
a movie is being
> watched, to prevent it responding to lighting commands & turning
the room
> lights on during the film)
>
> Don't know how practical all this is, but it just struck me when the
IM

<Kieran.Broadfoot@xxxxxxx>