Re: Re: Foundations are in!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: Foundations are in!
  • From: pam.senffner@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 06:00:38 -0700

Steve,

X-10 is just part of the "whole" home automation package.

I got a pretty funny mental picture from your comment of "banks of switches". Actually though we have a six-plex wall plate in most locations. We use Cat-5 for the computers and phone. We have also run extra for future needs especially since we don't want to run wire twice.

We also used Cat-5 wiring for the X-10 thermostat (the reporting part as we used a remote sensor). We also are using Cat-5 for temperature sensors located throughout the house in a home run style back to a serial card in the PC which then interfaces with HomeSeer. HomeSeer is a home control application of exceptional quality.

I have eleven compter network and servers and I personally like being able to plug my laptop in anywhere in the house and be instanly connected both to my network and the Internet.

Other wiring applications might be whole house audio, IR control, whole house video, microphones for VR control. I think one good example of whole house video is a DVD jukebox setup to play movies where ever there is a TV simply by selecting a different channel and using the built in (new wiring) IR control to select from the remote jukebox. That way your house guests benefit from the DVD as well and it makes a nice WOW factor for visitors.

Cat-5 is also a good upgrade for the telephone and you can "home run" back to the wiring closet with that as well. Essentially IMHO cat-5 seems to be a good all purpose wire. Planning for the future is just good sense and a slight amount more than needed only hurts the wallet for a week or so.

Cheers
Pam

steve_almond@xxxxxxx

06/01/01 03:05 AM