RE: Reversing phone line polarity, was Re: windows calle r id and answermachine solution

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Reversing phone line polarity, was Re: windows calle r id and answermachine solution
  • From: Robert Chasmer <robert.chasmer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:27:47 +0100

Keith Doxey [mailto:ukha.diyha@xxxxxxx] wrote:
> Cant see why it would work unless the CallerID unit was polarity
> sensitive which is bad design as telephone lines often get reversed
> when cables are worked on.
>
> If you do try reversing the line, you need to do it at the main
> incoming point.
>
> REVERSING THE LINE BETWEEN SOCKETS WILL CAUSE BELLS TO RING
> PERMANENTLY.

The fun I had the other day.  I've recently been retro fitting Cat 5 at
home, and finally got my Patch Pannel installed.  I ran a cable from my BT
master socket (one of those big boxes where you attach extensions to a sort
of fited plug socket pannel).
The other end I attached to 8 of the ports on the patch panel.  This would
allow me to patch the phone line into any rooms when needed.

Once it was all finished I noticed that none of the phones connected via
the
patch panel were ringing.  Except our new Caller ID cordless phone.

So I started investigating assuming that I'd somehow miss wired the bell
wire.  After a few hours and a lot of trial and error moving the bell wire,
checking it wasn't broken, listening to all the phones ringing, it still
wasn't working.  I discovered that one of the other OLD extensions was also
a master socket, so I removed that thinking that could be the problem, but
no.

As a last ditch attempt I swapped over the two main line wires comming from
the BT master to the patch pannel.  Hey presto everything was up and
running.

So a few questions:-
* Why does the polarity of the line wire matter after its been through a BT
master socket?
* Why did the Caller ID phone work? (I pressume it must detect the ring
from
the line wires)
* Does having addtional master sockets on the extension matter?

--
/ ___   / /  /  / __    / _____ HOME: chas@xxxxxxx