Re: Non-Comfort Alarms

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Non-Comfort Alarms
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <tivo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:05:49 +0100

Title: [ukha_d] Re: Non-Comfort Alarms
Hi Mark,

        Let me know how you get on here - we can get to a solution, it's just that some ways are easier than others - see inserted comments below.

>       2) If it is your own installed panel you could actually drop
> some electronics on the output of each PIR as it is wired int the
> panel. ie monitor the zone separately. You need t be very careful
> here though not to upset the zone sensing and not to impact the
> security of the system. Better is perhaps t take each PIR through
an
> intermediate relay and use a second set of contacts t give the
> activated outputs. If your panel uses two wire zones with
terminating
> and shunt resistors though you will lose your tamper alarms this
way.
> If 4 wire (separate tamper circuit) then it should be very possible.

Is 4-wire (I think it is actually 8 core cable I used. would I be able
t take a couple of spare wires off the PIR outputs?) I'm at page 2 of
Idiots guide t electronics so I'd struggle with anything other than
simple wiring - but I'd give it a go.

        No- you shouldn't do it this way. What you need t do is t operate a small relay (with protection diode) off the PIR contacts  - you can use the 12V supply from the panel t do this (probably). Then you use tw different sets of contacts on the relay, one t go back to the alarm panel and one t your Home Automation controller eg HomeVision. This way the circuits are isolated from each other and also you can mount the relay in the panel enclosure preserving tamper security. The tamper wires stay connected t the PIR. The wires t your HA controller are isolated from the panel and hence can't be used t compromise security. If we need t go this way I can talk you through it. An output method would be tidier.

There are tw programmable outputs for "2 programmable outputs,
programmed as shock sensor reset, exit/entry follow, 24Hr Latch, walk
test, PIR Set Latch, and armed and ready." Any idea what this means!!

        These sound pre set options t me - probably no use for this application although the entry/exit following might provide one output for you and the armed output could be used so you know from your HA setup when the security system is set.

There is a separate relay interface presumably for switching heavy
load sounders or something clever.

        These relays are also outputs and ideal because they provide isolated (volts free) outputs. You can achieve this also with Opt isolators on ordinary voltage style outputs. This is ideal because it allows you to interface t your chosen HA controller without any interaction problems and stops you damaging the panel if you d anything wrong. If the panel can provide the 'zone following' or 'linking' from a PIR these would be ideal - how many PIR's do you want t monitor and how many relay outputs are available ?- is an expansion relay board or output board available ?- you will need one relay / output per PIR.

        Hope you can get the info from Scantronic that you need -

        Kevin