Re: Non-Comfort Alarms

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Non-Comfort Alarms
  • From: "Mark Pollock" <pollocmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 14:08:11 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., Kevin Hawkins <tivo@u...> wrote:
> 	I had a similar issue. I have a Galaxy Panel which is
> 'maintained' ie I can't get my hands on all the bits I would like to
> (Eudora has just highlighted this text in red as being possibly
> offensive !). It has to be this way for Redcare.

I find that statement very offensive so well done Eudora!! :)

8<

> 	1) In the zone definitions on my panel it is possible t  set
> up a custom zone (circuit) that has a reporting flag attached. If
> this flag is set then the activations ARE listed on the printer
> interface and also recorded in the log - even if the alarm is not
> set. The downside is that the log rapidly fills up if a PIR is used.
> The maintainers are unhappy about this as they can potentially lose
> key events in the case of diagnostics.

This would be my ideal. I installed it so no maintenance contract :)
I'll have a look t  see if this can be done

> 	2) If it is your own installed panel you could actually drop
> some electronics on the output of each PIR as it is wired into the
> panel. ie monitor the zone separately. You need to be very careful
> here though not to upset the zone sensing and not to impact the
> security of the system. Better is perhaps to take each PIR through
an
> intermediate relay and use a second set of contacts to give the
> activated outputs. If your panel uses two wire zones with
terminating
> and shunt resistors though you will lose your tamper alarms this
way.
> If 4 wire (separate tamper circuit) then it should be very possible.

Is 4-wire (I think it is actually 8 core cable I used. would I be able
t  take a couple of spare wires off the PIR outputs?) I'm at page 2 of
Idiots guide to electronics so I'd struggle with anything other than
simple wiring - but I'd give it a go.

> 	3) Most panels have programmable outputs that can operate
> under certain conditions. eg for Light switching, part set
> indicators, heating off etc. These can usually be set up t  'follow'
> a zone eg a PIR. This again works when the panel is set or not set.
> This is my preferred method and is how I am interfaced to
HomeVision.
> Usually you can add more of these output modules to a system to
> expand the number available, sometimes this is expensive however.

There are two programmable outputs for "2 programmable outputs,
programmed as shock sensor reset, exit/entry follow, 24Hr Latch, walk
test, PIR Set Latch, and armed and ready." Any idea what this means!!

There is a separate relay interface presumably for switching heavy
load sounders or something clever.

Thanks for your help

Mark.

PS I've emailed scantronic t  see what they say - other than get a
life!