Showshift advice needed

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Showshift advice needed
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:27:29 +0100

Hi I want to do a showshift install, (its my birthday next week and I have
been granted one day to my stuff) and have a few questions for those wh
have gone down this route.

Here is may set-up, lounge is about 30ft cable run from my office, at the
moment digibox is next to the tv in the lounge. Office has two computers
which run 24/7 they are both rack mounted. One is a w2k server 1Ghz Athlon
loads of disk space, it runs all the time DDAR server, W2K sql server
(needed for work), relay fax (fax server, needed for work), mdaemon(mail
server), digigide and HomeVision it has Matrox G400 dual head but only one
head used and that is via a KMV.

Second system is 1.3GHz Athlon running W2K workstation which I use all the
time its got t  be reliable because I use it for work, its got a Matrox
G450
Max dual head one head is on all the time t  21" monitor the other
goes t
the KMV and shares the second monitor with the server and tw  other PC's
which come and go and cannot be used.

I am going t  get a ATI Radeon because its on showshifters site as ok with
w2k which my matrox cards are not

I am thinking of moving the digibox up to the office, and putting show
shifter on the server to control it I can see I am going t  have to get a
redrat. I already have IR sent up to the office via a IR->RF kit. I can
send
the output from the Radeon via CAT5 to the lounge.

Is this the best way to go ?

One problem is from what I can see if I am out and want to record a sky
channel I have to pre select the channel, I know there is some stuff you
can
get for the pc but I already have all my serial ports in use (I could get
more)

Other problem, is my server going t  be overloaded ? or un-reliable ?

Any Ideas or comments ?

or should I get another PC just fro this :-(

John