Re: X10 question

Title: Re: [ukha_d] X10 question
        X10 is unfortunately a very picky system. I have a ring of 4 sockets in one room, alternate sockets on this ring work the others don't. There are some ways around it.
        The easiest and most practical (as Stuart says) is to move the transmitter (PC interface) to a closer location if possible). Generally the receivers (lamp/appliance modules) are sort of fixed cos that's where the lamps etc are physically located. Play around with different sockets for the PC interface you will probably find a location that works for all modules. Trying as close t the fuse box as possible is often a good idea. Once your PC interface is programmed it does its own thing so it doesn't need t be close t your PC all the time (only for programming).
        Switch off at the wall socket as many appliances as possible and see if things start t work - if they do then switch things back on gradually to find a culprit device that is killing the X10. You can buy a filter from people like LetsAutomate t then cure this ( it's like a mains adaptor that goes between the  plug and socket). Note you must switch off at the socket - not just the ON/OFF switch. If your sockets are unswitched then you must pull the plugs out.
        This will cure 90% of problems unless your house is very large. If it doesn't then you will need either some X10 amplification / repeaters or to use some 'transcoding' of house codes. Basically you have a device that listens on one housecode and transmits the same things it hears but on a different housecode.This device sits between your CM12U and the 'deaf' modules. I use this in my house as it is very spread out. It works well but is a little cumbersome for control -also the dim / bright becomes less predictable.
        If your house is large or has solid walls stay away from the RF transceivers as well as they will disappoint in their range. Mine won't work from one room t the next unless you're near the door  (3' thick walls).

        Let us know how you get on.

        Kevin

There are a couple of things you can try:

How big is your house, ie how far away is the thing you're trying to control?
Unless you live in a mansion this is unlikely to be a problem. Just to rule
this out, try locating your CM12U as close t the middle of the house as you
can and see if that make any difference to which rooms work and which don't.

What's more likely is that there is some interferecne coming from something.
Try unplugging things to see if the problem goes away. It's more than likely
that something is killing the X10 signal with it's interference (and I seem
to remember certain brand of TV are worse for this than others.)

I also know that there are people on the list who have had the same problem
as you too.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--

Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>