RE: X-10 on eBay and our prices.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X-10 on eBay and our prices.
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, c Jul 20ec 00:01:22 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C101C0.F6D9C4E0
C ntent-Typ(: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
C ntent-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I don't think anyone in X10 Europe is ripping anyone off ... if X10 Europe
have - say - 100 staff and they have to develop and manufacture 10,000 of a
product then the difference between the cost of doing that and doing the
same but producing 1,000,000 of a product is negligable but the costs can
be
spread over more product and hence the product can be cheaper. It's
economies of scale.

In the US there's one law to satisfy ... in Europe all the countries have
different plugs and their own quirks and so each variant of module must be
regarded as a seperate product line. The overheads on this must be huge. In
Europe we have CE testing which IIRC my previous employer worked out was
£57,000 for them to CE test a standalone piece of computer equipment which
was not user upgradeable. That applied to one spec of product and if we
made
any changes to the spec then the CE testing was void.

Manufacturing in Europe isn't cheap ... why do you think we get
multistandard TVs and VCRs? Not from the goodness of the makers hearts
that's for certain ... we get multistandard TVs and VCRs because it's
cheaper for the makers to do it that way and they sell it to us as a bonus!

Phil