RE: HA and WAP

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: HA and WAP
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:15:37 -0000

For some reason it worked yesterday but not today. I have infact d/l all
the
"critical" updates today (23 of them!) from the following web
page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/default.asp
If you do run IIS
it is worth subscribing to the MS security bulletin service (I'm sure all
the hackers do). You can do so here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/notify.asp

At $30 (I think) Zonealarm Pro is worth every penny. The free version is OK
for a single PC, but if you use NAT or ICS then you'll need the Pro
version.
It also allows you to establish which programs are allowed to access which
ports. The "personal" in the title is a bit mis-leading, it is
more powerful
then a lot of hardware based firewalls.

I've attached a message from the grc.com news server, it contains a number
of sites which will allow you to remotely test your firewall when in place.

Tim.

ASP
> timeout error on the MS server.  I'll search on this subject and
> see what I
> can find.  Can you tell me/us what you did your search on to find the
> security info?
>
> > Just be careful of the following things:
> >
> > 1. You are running a good firewall. ZoneAlarm Pro is probably the
most
> > comprehensive personal firewall available at the moment.
> >
> > 2. IIS is notorious for its vulnerabilities, probably because
> hackers like
> > to attack Microsoft servers more than any other reasons. The
attached
> > shortcut will display a list of post sp1/pre sp2 fixes that you
> > should apply
> > if you want to maintain some sort of system integrity.
> >
> > Tim.

connected to my