Re: Explanation of women required...

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 08:52 am, Jennifer Lowe wrote:
> I had soooo looked forward to the film, because the
> book was great, and then what a disappointment!

ah well, that's your first mistake :-) Anyone remember the film version of
IT
or The Stand, two of my favourite books MASACARED. Those films stank. Even
Silence of the Lambs, a good film on it's own, was weak compared to the
book.
I'm not looking forward to Lord of the Rings, but I'll go and watch it
because it's Peter Jackson, won't be as good as "Bad Taste" or
"Brain Dead"
though :-)

> I may be thick, but I dont quite follow what this
> means. The only thing I can think of is because a
> SWMBO is in the house all day, and not, in actual
> fact, working.... which I am pretty sure is not what
> you meant....

well, not in this house it isn't, I'm the one whose in the house all day
and
the missus is the one out at work. (Though I do work from home). I think
womens general reluctance to embrace technology is brought about by the
prevalent social attitudes of the last 100 years, where women are the home
makers and men are the bread winners. This has stiffled womens ability to
adapt to new technologies by preconditioning them to beleive that they are
not capable of doing so. In the past a woman would have adopted a new
technology because her husband told her to do so, but now that we are
midway
between the era when women did as their husbands told them, and a time when
women are trully men's equals (in societies eyes), women don't have the
confidence to try new technology, but they do have the strength of
character
to say that they don't want to. It will be a good day indeed when men and
women can both embrace new technology with equal confidence.

(DISCLAIMER: The above is obviously a sweeping generalisation, and women
like
Jenni and men like my Dad (who can't program a video) are the exceptions
that
prove the rule.)

--

Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>