Re: Explanation of women required...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Explanation of women required...
  • From: Jennifer Lowe <jenni@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:12:06 +0100 (BST)

> > I had soooo looked forward to the film, because
> >the book was great, and then what a disappointment!

> ah well, that's your first mistake :-)

It was C&PD that really reinforced it though :)

> I'm not looking forward to Lord of the Rings, but
> I'll go and watch it because it's Peter Jackson,
> won't be as good as "Bad Taste" or "Brain Dead"
> though :-)

LOTR looks fabby .... Peter Jackson has said he will
be trying to keep as close to the book as possible,
he will be dropping bits like Tom Bombadil, but hey,
that can only be a good thing :)
Maybe its the female hormones talking here, but I am
afraid I did not like Bad Taste, or Brain Dead ;)

> In the past a woman would have adopted a new
> technology because her husband told her to do so,
> but now that we are midway between the era when
> women did as their husbands told them, and a time
> when women are trully men's equals (in societies
> eyes)

You know, I didn't think "subservient" women existed
anymore, until I met Ians aunts, while we were trying
to arrange Ians dads funeral, these two biddies sat
down and said "We will just let the men folk deal
with everything, wont we Jenni, we women are just not
capable of dealing with important things....."
It was neither the time nor the place to correct them,
but I was, and still am, horrifed! They genuinely
beleived it!!

> women don't have the confidence to try new
> technology, but they do have the strength of
> character to say that they don't want to. It will be

> a good day indeed when men and
> women can both embrace new technology with equal
> confidence.

I dont know just how much I agree with what you have
said, however, it is blindingly obvious from the
members of this list alone, that something somewhere
does encourage men to get in with gadgets etc as
soon as possible, and women (in general!) to just
dismiss it as their menfolk being childish and wanting
toys, but to paraphrase, a measure of a mans success
is the number of toys he has!

> (DISCLAIMER: The above is obviously a sweeping
> generalisation, and women like Jenni and men like my

> Dad (who can't program a video) are the exceptions
> that prove the rule.)

*cough* and Pam, if she is still lurking! ;)

Jenni