RE: Re: (Mark ?)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: (Mark ?)
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:11:58 +0100

Perhaps I should have put a smiley after the four question marks.

<rant>

Actually I have to bite my tongue several times daily on the Internet. This
mailing list is pretty good as a whole, mainly I think because for most of
us English is a first language rather than American. Most of us can string
together a few sentences without throwing in several grammar and spelling
mistakes :)

Although I did OK in English at school, it wasn't until I started writing
business to business sales proposals that I started getting really picky
about my own spelling and grammar. Unfortunately for me the discipline has
never left me, and I treat email in the same regard as writing a letter and
not as an interactive conversation where someone is reading as you type and
speed should take preference. When I was working in a dealing room in the
City, recruiting was very much a team effort, and all of the front office
staff took part in the interviewing and selection process. If a CV came
across my desk with one spelling or grammar error it used to find its way
into the bin very quickly - it is the same with letters addressed to me
personally with my name spelled wrong. Maybe I'm just picky, but it is one
aspect of the all pervasive American culture that really pisses me off.
Just
because they don't know how to write, spell, or use apostrophes it seems
that it is becoming acceptable to do it over here. If my 12 year old
dyslexoc nephew can cope, why can't most adults?

Frankly with the volume of emails on this list I think it is only common
courtesy to write succinctly and properly. After all the whole point of
punctutation is to make writing easier to read and not more difficult, and
I'm not going to make any friends here, but I'm simply not going to bother
to read Geraint's posts any more, because I find them *really* difficult to
read.

</rant>

<kummell@b...> wrote:
> [...]
"Rate Adaptive Digital
really happening?

> > > line
> > > to in
looks like a
> > > bust,
unless you
> > > guys
works!

distance limit.
I'm gonna
> > > have to

ISPs.  I
> > > think if
> > > ISDN.

StarSpeeder is much

hate a flaky

preperation for ADSL...

128k) or
> > > Satellite

connection basis.

move on a daily

<mark@a...> wrote:
> [...]
Something to
> > > do
service for a
> > > while
> > > hassle.

using starspeeder.

card for use...

Starspeeder has been

Do you know
> > > what

buy it, if I am

Yahoo! Terms of

 Terms of Service.

041992:HM/A=734184/R=0/*https:/www.jointhegoodcook.com/mybookclub/cook
> > > in
> > > src=015_02_hj_273_139_2219>

> > > M=210156.1528652.3092242.1456760/D=egrou

 Terms of Service.