Re: Media Server options

Hi,

I'm using a combination of a central server (a dual core shuttle box full
of 400gb drives) and an external Freecom Classic NAS drive.
The original plan was to put the NAS drive on the lan standalone, which
you can do with it's network port.
Unfortunately, if you have a mac in the house (now my main "pc"
when not
using my laptop) then you have to format it as FAT, which is a bit
wasteful of space and not very secure.
Instead, I just hung it off a USB2 port on the server, still as NTFS, and
I get all the security I want plus MAC access to it too.

downside to this device is the need to install client side software to
access it (if you install it on the lan) and aforementioned FAT issue in a
mixed environment.

PC Pro this month does a review of about 1/2 a dozen different NAS options
around the same sort of price points.  Can't remember which one came out
on top I'm afraid.

re: backup:  Yes and no.  Ripped DVD's - no, would take up too much space
and since I own the originals, I already effectively have a
"backup".
music, yes - although I also own the originals (unless it's legal
downloads), I have far too many CD's to re-rip if it all went titsup.com

It's all about balancing convenience vs cost ATEOTD....

cheers,

T.