Re: Media Server options

Hiyall,
Has anyone thought about Network Attached Storage as an alternative? I
know these boxes are 'dumb pc's with a load of storage space but I would
imaging less maintenance and no worrying about patches and god knows
what else.

I've found http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10647
that
might fit the bill. (its expandable too!)

I'm thinking about this storage thing myself, but each has +'s and -'s.

Big Server case loads of HD's, + all neat and in one box, - it can be
big especially to hold all the disks, - os maintenance.
Little Box with external HD's, + size (space is what I haven't got!), -
lots o little boxes, - again os maintenance.
NAS box, + turnkey, power it and it works!, - tied into the NAS box os -
don't expect to run shoutcast on it!

(oh does anyone actualy DO backups of their media stuff - to tape - or
another hd??)

or a hybrid beast - get a NAS box to hold the disks and manage that
side, then add a small footprint server that can use the NAS storage and
be able to run all the other stuff.
Mmm...

Wayne.