RE: BT ISDN + BT Anytime

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: BT ISDN + BT Anytime
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 01:26:47 +0100

Must admit that I loved the way that for the last hour and a half I've been
geting permanently disconnected on dial-up with a "Bad password and
username" error. Calling the BT Internet status line number (0800
whatever)
the recorded message said that the service was fine ... on calling their
premium rate support line however I assume they were having a few problems
as it's been engaged for the last hour!

Phil

BT as
> my ISP and it didn't which is no great problem. I do have an
> issue with the
> cost of HH when compared to ADSL and cablemodems and thats where
> BT have me
> by the nuts as ADSL won't be here for at least a year or two and
> cablemodems
> are uncertain too.
>
> Where I live our phone lines are very bad ... I mean real real bad. My
> transfer rates used to be in the order of 1.5 - 2.0 kbytes/sec and I
would
> have to try maybe four or five times to get online before being able
> successfully connect. Each "try" would take maybe 1.5 - 2
minutes before I
> eventually nuked the connection.
>
> As soon as I had HH installed I started getting connections within 40
> seconds and transfer speeds of maybe 3 kbytes/sec *FROM MY OLD
> ANALOGUE 3COM
> MODEM* ... now that I've got the ISDN modem hooked up I'n getting
online
> within about 7 seconds from request and I'm getting close on
7kbytes/sec
> transfer rate. Not blistering compared to what I had at my last house
> (512kbits cablemodem) but a shedload better than what I was using here
> week ago. Plus of course I don't have the missus grumbling about
> me tying up
> the phone line nor do I have to wait in the middle of a
> conversation whilst
> my PC decided that it's going to try to dial up and check my email.
>
> My "grumble" below was at the fact that someone appeared to
have cancelled
> my install because someone else had ammended my records to say
> that mine was
> a HH line already. The different departments of BT do not talk to
> each other
> it seems and I was bounced all over the place and over about 5
different
> phone numbers to simply try to find out whether my surftime
> registration had
> gone through!
>
> I'd rather be spending £20 a month on permanent 512kbits cablemodem
access
> but in the abscence of that then HH will have to do - it ain't perfect
but
> it's a sh*tload better than what I had!
>
> Phil

install a 2Mbps