RE: Rewiring

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Rewiring
  • From: James Hoye <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:02:59 +0100

> OK, I have now got 'Sale Agreed' on a house that needs
> rewiring. I want to
> be as forward thinking as possible and want all the light
> fixtures wired
> back to LD10/LD11 in a central consumer unit at some point but, due to
> financial constraints, not on day one.

Something I too would consider doing.  At least with structured mains
cabling, you can extend/enhance without too much disruption.

I would run a power cable from a central point to each light (or group),
and
to each switch.  You can make the connections at the central point - make
sure you have enough space here - you could end up adding lots of DIN
modules at a later date.  Make sure you leave plenty of spare slack, as you
may need to re-route into consumer unit/din enclosures - and you may end up
with a wall-full (see
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/wiring/images/consumerunits.jpg
)

> What do I need to tell the electrician or prepare myself?
>
> What type of switches are best with LD10? The brass ones on
> LetsAutomate?
> are there cheaper alternatives?
> If I go for the ones on LetsAutomate can I install the 35mm
> deep mounting
> box and put on a standard light switch in the mean time?

Use 47mm if possible - the extra space could become useful, and the cost
difference is <20p (using Screwfix prices) for 1 gang, and <30p for 2
gang
boxes.  You may regret 35mm later!

Also, I would be tempted to use triple & earth for switches - that way
you
can have LNE + switched L (the some replacement switches may require a
neutral connection) OR plain ordinary 1 or 2 way with bog-standard switches
(for now, or when you sell and want to revert).  Keep you options open!!!

I would also be tempted to run cat5 into the box (in separate conduit of
course) - but I'm not quite sure how this fares with wiring regulations -
you require separation of mains and lv cables - check this with a spark.

Of course, these are just my ideas - check that whatever you do complies
with the appropriate regulations - better safe than sorry.

James H

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1.  Fill in the brief application
2.  Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9334/9/_/2065/_/969972927/