Re: Idea for Poll

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Idea for Poll
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:20:29 +0100

At 16:29 22/09/00 +0100, you wrote:
>"What have you been electrocuted by?"

Can we add 'Camera Flash unit', or am I the only one.  It was a good one
too, had my arm tingling for 1/2 hour, and intermittent heart arrythmia for
a few days...

Oh, and can we add 'first attempts to make a relay-based oscillator' (For
the uninitiated, if you wire up a relay so that the normally closed contact
is in series with the coil, it tends to oscillate, producing a suitably
large 'kick' each time the coil is disconnected.)

Then there's 'touching the live and neutral pins of a plug'.  This
particular product (A professional minidisc recorder from a large
manufacturer), to conform to CE regs, had a cap across L-N, built in to the
product, and connected after the IEC socket but before the power switch,
with no discharge resistor.  As a result, if you happened to switch off the
product on its power switch, then switch off and unplug the mains lead,
there was a random voltage between +340 and -340V across the L and N pins
of the plug, depending where on the mains cycle you'd unplugged it...
electrical russian roulette :-)

Oh, and then there's the 'Why would we want to earth the chassis' Revox B77
reel to reel recorder, guaranteed to tingle...

But I think I've only managed one 'normal' mains belt (but lots of bangs
burns and flashes)- now I'm overly careful...

Nigel

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1.  Fill in the brief application
2.  Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9334/9/_/2065/_/969956371/