Re: Are BT serious?

Free @Backup service!  Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online.  Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6348/9/_/2065/_/969547866/

Mark Harrison wrote:

> Within the first 5 minutes, BT told me that "we don't guarantee
data over
> normal PSTN lines, you need to upgrade to ISDN or ADSL."
>
> Oftel confirmed that this is indeed the case.
>
> How can a PTT get away with this in the year 2000????

Heh, can't say it surprises me. They certainly *used* to guarantee
data up to 14k4; I think because that's what faxes need, or something.

Quite often, someone with a perfectly good modem connection at >33k6
would order a second line, and BT would install a DACS unit which
multiplexes two lines onto one exchange line, each at 14k4, and when
you ring up to complain they say "Sorry mate, we only guranatee
14k4".

Sounds like this is no longer the case!

ant
--