Re: Good HA ideas site - Comfort Web Interface

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Good HA ideas site - Comfort Web Interface
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 15:46:54 GMT

>Oooh there is one other option.. Each time you dial up you could get
the
>ip address assigned to you and then store it in a text file and
transfer
>the file to your web site... then when you wanted to talk to Comfort
you
>could examine the file remotely and connect directly to that ip
address...

Another nice way would be to have the following sequence of events...
(But this only works with two phone lines, or BT Highway...)

1) Comfort initiates a dial-up connection to the ISP, either as a response
to an event, or just as a timed event - I'm planning to have my dial-up
connection automatically come up at 18:00 every day, as that is when it on
free 0800 number...

2) The ISP assigns a dynamic IP address to the InterfACE server, which then
uses TTS to speak the IP address into a message in the Comfort Panel.

3) Comfort then forwards the voice message to your mobile phone, if it's
on,
you receive a call, and a robot voice says: "The Comfort IP address
is..."
if it's off, the same message goes to your mobile phones' voicemail
service.

This would be good for me, as my Internet connection and my voice
connection
are on seperate dedicated lines, (BT Highway), so at 18:00, as soon as the
access becomes free, my internet connection goes online automatically, and
2
minutes later I get a phone call on my mobile with a voice telling me the
IP
address... Alternatively, an SMS message to my phone would be just as good,
but there seems to be some considerable concern about the reliability of
SMS
gateways, and there's not much guarantee that the SMS would arrive? - this
hopefully should be the case with a voice connection... Also, what happens
to an SMS message if your phone is off/unavailable? - do they get stored
&
forwarded at the SMSC?? or are they just broadcast & lost like a pager
message?

Paul G.