RE: Outside stuff and RCD

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Outside stuff and RCD
  • From: James Hoye <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 04:17:41 -0400

> So with this in mind, and having installed a water feature
> (my wife watches
> Ground Force....) last weekend, I went to Homebase to buy an
> RCD thingy to
> protect life and limb.
>
> I indented to put the thing after the X10 module, and before
> the plug to the
> water pump. It looks ugly, but I figured it should work.
>
> Now the problem. The RCD trips to off then the power is cut.
> So as soon as
> the appliance module switches off, the RCD trips.
>
> According to the paperwork, this is exactly how it is
> supposed to work (I
> bought the slightly more expensive of the 2 Homebase had;
> Green box; RCD has
> a single test/reset button on top).

I had an inline RCD (from Wickes) the protect our UV filter & pump.
This exhibited the same behaviour you mentioned.  Recently, I replaced
the double socket in the shed (used to power the above) with a RCD
double socket courtesy of Screwfix for 19.99  This doesn't exhibit the
same trait, and remains untripped even after loss of power.

james

smime.p7s