Re: Outside stuff and RCD

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Outside stuff and RCD
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:20:52 +0100

At 08:09 11/05/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Now the problem. The RCD trips to off then the power is cut. So as soon
as
>the appliance module switches off, the RCD trips.

That's normal- the sort of scenario they envisage is- house power fails,
person outside mowing lawn wonders why mower has stopped, turns it over to
look, puts hand in blade path to clear the lump of grass that they reckon
must have blocked it without switching off, house power comes back on...

>If I bought the cheaper one, with a reset AND a test button; would the
power
>stay on? Do I even need to use one at all???

Some do, but why not just put the X-10 control _after_ the RCD, plug RCD
into wall, plug X-10 module into RCD, plug pump into X-10 module?  Easy if
you use a plug-in X-10 appliance module, slightly trickier if you have a
hardwired X-10 module (but still possible- get a wired-in RCD).  _Don't_
just 'not use an RCD', water/outside/electricity is too risky a combination
really... unless it's a low voltage pump and the transformer is inside.

Nigel

Double your manufacturer's warranty on all computers,
home appliances, and electronics AND win up to $500
towards your purchase!
http://click.egroups.com/1/3749/7/_/2065/_/958033235/