Re: Wireless LAN stuff?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Wireless LAN stuff?
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 05:16:00 -0800

"timothy morris" <mai-@xxxxxxx> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/?start=3D1825
> Mark,
>
> I looked into this just before Christmas. At that time the 2Mb stuff
was
> available, but now you can get 11Mbit cards for not much more

And in todays Register (www.theregister.co.uk), even faster -- Patrick.

Posted 27/01/2000 12:45pm by Tony Smith

NEC unveils IEEE 1394 'Firewireless' home LAN

NEC has developed an IEEE 1394-based wireless networking system
designed to connect home computers to entertainment devices and other
appliances.

Each device can communicate with others at the standard 1394 data rate
of 400Mbps at distances of up to 12m with a direct line of sight and 7m
through walls.

NEC isn't the first to tackle 1394 -- aka FireWire by Apple and iLink
by Sony -- over a wireless connection. Last year, Canon demonstrated a
prototype system that provided a data rate of 100Mbps.

Canon has no plans to ship its technology as a commercial product, the
company told Reuters. However, when it demoed the system last year, it
said it would submit it to the 1394 Trade Association for possible
inclusion in its own wireless spec., currently under development.

NEC said products based on its 400Mbps technology will become available
by the end of the year. Likely the company is waiting for devices to
emerge that use the HAVi (Home AV Interface), which defines a home
entertainment-oriented networking and interoperability system based on
Java and 1394. Version 1.0 of the HAVi spec. was finalised and released
earlier this month. =AE

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as 2.9% =0D
Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/915/3/_/2065/_/948978988/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications