Re: Which jukebox?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Which jukebox?
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:53:25 GMT

This sounds pretty excellent!

One question though, regarding using speech synthesis for artist selection:
doesn't having the computer read out a list of all the artists in your MP3
collection take a long time? - Mine has albums from AC/DC to ZZ top in it,
and my 300-odd album jukebox encompasses probably about 100 different
artists! - I could well imagine getting very bored listening to the list
much before I'd got as far as Def Leppard!...

Apart from that though, it sounds like a really top banana system! - I'd be
very interested to hear how you get on with it.

Cheers.

Paul G.

>From: Alex Goodyear <agood@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Which jukebox?
>Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:02:48 +0000
>

>Hi,
>
>I also have alot of PC mp3 music that I want to access like a jukebox.
>have designed and started to program my solution which uses voice
>recognition in the lounge and RF based comms for the rest of the house
>combined with audible announcements to guide you through the
>album/artist/genre selection.
>
>you : RF a1-on or say "Start jukebox"
>computer : "Jukebox control, 1 album 2 artist 3 genre or 4
random"
>you : RF a2-on or say "2" or "artist"
>computer : "1 Aerosmith 2 Brian Adams 3 David Bowie 4 .... 8
more"
>you : RF a3-on or say "3" or "David Bowie"
>computer : "1 album 2 track 3 random"
>you : RF a3-on or say "3" or "Random"
>
>Voice recognition is then deactivated until the track ends but the
>computer will still respond to the RF signals to "Stop"
(a1-off) the
>music or alter the volume using the a1-on with dim & bright
buttons.

>The RF controls are not limited to just controlling the mp3 jukebox,
>when you have completed making a selection from the jukebox menu or you
>press a1-off the computer will interpret the other buttons as menu
>initiators.
>
>a2-on will allow the RF controller to control the downstairs CD player
>and a3-on controls the downstairs amplifier (volume and source for
>distribution) i.e.
>
>you : RF a3-on
>computer : "Amplifier control, 1 CD 2 radio 3 tape 4 video"
>you : RF a1-on
>computer : "CD selected as source for Amplifier"
>
>The computer will send out IR signals to switch the amp source to the
CD
>player and then the computer is ready for a different menu initiator.
>
>you : RF a2-on
>computer : "CD control, 1 play 2 stop 3 select track"
>you : RF a3-on
>computer : "Select track 1 to 7 or 8 for more"
>you : RF a8-on
>computer : "Select track 8 to 14 or 8 for more"
>you : RF a1-on (to select track 8)
>
>The design is finished and I have separate small programs to recognise
>speech (reconises colours at the moment), produce speech (says anything
>I type) and another program that decodes (or sends) X10 commands. I
just
>have to find time to bolt the whole lot together. I already have
another
>crude script-based program that allows me to send X10 commands like
>"light lounge lamp", "dim lounge lamp",
"lounge lamp off". I had to use
>the word "light" because "on" and "off"
at the end of the phrase were
>not reliably distinguished by the speech recognition program.
>
>I'm writting the software in tcl/tk under Windows95 and will be porting
>it to Linux.
>
>Alex.
>
>--
>
>A. Goodyear	agood[AT]jet[DOT]uk	Ex. 5192
>
>J.E.T., U.K.A.E.A., Culham Lab., K1/0/66, Abingdon, Oxon, UK.

>Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.

>-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948480829/

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1