Re: Which jukebox?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Which jukebox?
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:27:23 GMT

The one problem I've come across, is that I want to always keep artists
grouped together, (IE if Meatloaf ever brings out a new album, I'd want it
to be grouped with all the other Meatloaf albums...), and I also prefer to
keep the entire jukebox listing sorted alphabetically by artist name. The
problem then lies in inserting a new entry into the middle of a consecutive
numeric sequence. The only way I can see of handling this is to abstract
the
numbers from the files entirely, so that there is no permanent relationship
or association between an album and it's ID number in the Jukebox, thereby
giving me ultimate flexibility in how I choose to "slice &
Dice" it. This
requires a dynamic index of the album list, and as this already exists as a
directory structure on my MP3 drive this would seem the most sensible
source
for this data. All I then need as the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle, is
jukebox front-end that references the index file rather than the data
directly. (Kind of like a directory-aware jukebox...)

This kind of thing should be pretty easy to knock up in MS Access, or VB,
either of which could drive Winamp or the Windows Media Player to actually
play the music.

Hmmm.... where's my MSDN CD's....

Paul G.

>From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Which jukebox?
>Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:18:52 -0000
>

>I never said it was easy but if you choose numeric names (that doesnt
sound
>right!) for the playlists (BTW you can create a playlist for each album
as
>well) and number your CD's then it becomes easier.
>
>CD's start at 001 upto whatever 300+ in your case and probably mine as
>well.
>Playlists from 800 to 999. My MP3 files are names after the CD+TrackNo
so
>20614.mp3 is track 14 on CD 206.
>
>253* would play album 253.m3u
>801* would play playlist 801.m3u
>20614# would play track 20614.mp3
>
>OK ...you have to remember some numbers but I quote....
>
> >When I'm in the pub, all I have to do is press: 3-7-1 for example
to play
> >"Bat Out Of Hell" or whatever, and I want to replicate
that functionality
>-
> >IE, pick up a URC (Pronto or whatever), then press 3-7-1-Play to
play the
> >album.
>
>Now either you remember 3-7-1 is "Bat Out Of Hell" (Excellent
choice if I
>may say so :-))
>or you looked it up on the big shiney thing that swallowed your money.
>
>Of course the "BEST" solution is Voice Recognition
>
>JUKEBOX "MEATLOAF"
>
>or
>
>JUKEBOX "I've Had a Shitty Day" whereby a playlist of
feelgood music gets
>fired off :-))
>
>Oneday.....the jukebox will be able to tell how feel based on the speed
of
>your car approaching and how hard you slam the door....SCAREY :-))
>

>Keith Doxey
>http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
>Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948479264/

-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ukha_d&m=1