Re: Which jukebox?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Which jukebox?
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:12:44 GMT

That sounds great! Thanks Andy.

I hadn't really thought much about track info display - it's not something
thats a very high priority for me - I can hear the music loud & clear,
so I
usually know exactly whats playing!! (and so does the Wife!)

Also, control from multiple locations is also not a priority for me, as I
plan to have multiple independent MP3 jukebox "zones" - I will
never
distribute the actual audio around the house (that would mean only one
zone), but I will put a PC in each location where I want to be able to use
the jukebox, each on my house 100MB ethernet, and with a copy of the
jukebox
software, each PC being connected to a local Amp & Speakers (I'm only
talking about maybe 4 rooms that eould require this - I don't live in a
mansion!). Each PC would map a drive to the MP3 data on a central server,
then the only thing flying around the house is ethernet data. (No loss of
audio quality due to distribution!)

I tried having a machine in the AV rack in the living room, but could not
live with the fan noise. (two very big fans on the PII CPU!), so I've moved
it to the sub-floor void immediately underneath the AV rack (fully
accessible from my cellar). Because this machine is effectively to be
considered as a piece of consumer entertainment hardware, I want it to
behave as such, and so I have turned off all power saving features so there
is never any latency waiting for it to come out of sleep or standby modes,
or waiting for it to boot up. I have it automatically reboot itself every
night at 03:30 to avoid any potential problems like memory leaks etc. which
might have arisen from never downing this PC. I also have it automatically
log in to my NT domain after each reboot, and load Winamp from the startup
group (minimised with nothing on the playlist) so whenever I come to this
machine, it is always instantly ready for use.

It's Running Windows 2000 RC3 (build 2183), which I can wholeheartedly
recommend.

Cheers.

Paul G.

>From: "Andy Powell" <andy.powell@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Which jukebox?
>Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:05:00 +0100
>

>I,m currently working on building a dedicated MP3 box so sit in the
stereo
>rack (at the moment I have a PC in the living room - high WAF !!) I've
>written the interface for it (two different types) and one is like the
>thing
>you're after. It's not completed yet but you're welcome to a copy when
it
>is.
>
>The rack version will utilise an LCD  to display track info and I was
>planning on having other LCDs dotted around the house for info.
Selection
>is
>from via IR and is 'detected' via IRMAN built into the box. This means
that
>wilh a few repeaters you could control it from anywhere.. plus of
course
>some speakers!.
>
>I'm currently in a little bit of turmoil though over 'boot' times of
the
>player.. I'm thinking of just leaving it on and when I select 'power
off'
>it
>sends the unit into suspend mode.
>
>Andy
>

>**************************** DISCLAIMER *****************************
>
>This message is intended only for use by the person to whom
>it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged and
>confidential. Its content does not constitute a formal commitment by
>Lombard Odier. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
>kindly notify the sender and destroy this message. Thank you.

>Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.

>-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948481970/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1