Re: Was: Maplin IR repeater in sale, Now: General IR query...

> Hmmm.. interesting that it seems to be a common problem with the 508 -
> incidentally, how DID you solve it in the end (if at all?) - did you
go
the
> mini-emitter route?

I have a few mini-emitters (I used X10 Pyramids before) and so far no
problems with the 508ip.

> those emitters are stuck on with hot-glue....

Most of them use double sided tape and are easy to move.

> investigate this, can you give me any useful tips/pointers on
what/where
to buy....

I have a couple of Xantech ones and a couple of Keith Doxey patented
"reverse engineered" ones :-)
http://www.letsautomate.com
sells Xantech ones as far as I remember.

> As regards the digibox, I've read of them "crashing" from
time-to-time and
> needing power-cycling to "reboot" them... - I've used
computer terminology
> deliberately, as these digiboxes are not far from being stripped-down
> PC's...

Very true...I have a friend who's been on a course with Pace in England
learning to repair them and that's exactly how he described
them..."almost a
PC!".

> but I've not heard of them having the same problem as the 508's - do
> you know if the digibox is suffering from IR psychosis like the 508's
or
is
> it a problem unrelated to IR blasters?

It's not an IR problem but more akin to an OS crash (think Windows).

It would actually be a good use of an appliance module.  Just set it to
switch off at say 4:00am and back on at 4:01am every day.  That way you
should be less likely to have the box "crash".

M.

Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?

You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign

up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
http://click.egroups.com/1/332/3/_/2065/_/947171825

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1