Re: Was: Maplin IR repeater in sale, Now: General IR query...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Was: Maplin IR repeater in sale, Now: General IR query...
  • From: "Chris King" <chris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:16:27 -0000

I'd also recommend the mini-emitters - you can place the kit exactly the
right way around that makes most sense for cable access then (personal
experience this one!)  Just make sure that if you're operating the kit from
a local controller as well (in a living room perhaps) that signals aren't
duplicated - Sky Digiboxes especially don't cope well with several sets of
slightly staggered signals when it's expecting a discrete code.

The Digibox seems to have a mind of it's own, occaisionally if it hasn't
hung or refused to read the card, it will display each channel perfectly
except for one thing, the screen is totally blue on each channel.

Cheers,
Chris.

from a
> technical/reliability viewpoint, but easiest/cheapest holds a lot of
sway
> too! - If I could only find a blaster type solution that was
sufficiently
> reliable (I could live with 98% reliability if it was 1-3rd of
> the cost of
> the 100% product...)
>
> If I really _have_ to go down the mini-emitter road, then I
> suppose that's
> what I'll just have to do.... but I'd rather avoid it if possible -
it's
> quite a bit of work to retro-fit it all onto my AV rack, and
> makes upgrading
> kit, or re-locating kit within the rack a complete pain - especially
if
> those emitters are stuck on with hot-glue...., however, in case I have
> investigate this, can you give me any useful tips/pointers on
> what/where to
> buy....
>
> As regards the digibox, I've read of them "crashing" from
> time-to-time and
> needing power-cycling to "reboot" them... - I've used
computer
> terminology
> deliberately, as these digiboxes are not far from being stripped-down
> PC's... but I've not heard of them having the same problem as the
> 508's - do
> you know if the digibox is suffering from IR psychosis like the
> 508's or is
> it a problem unrelated to IR blasters?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Paul G..

Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?

You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign

up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
http://click.egroups.com/1/332/3/_/2065/_/947171657

-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ukha_d&m=1