Re: Was: Maplin IR repeater in sale, Now: General IR query...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Was: Maplin IR repeater in sale, Now: General IR query...
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 14:40:03 GMT

Oops! - yes, of course I mean the 508IP - my memory is not what it used to
be!

Hmmm.. interesting that it seems to be a common problem with the 508 -
incidentally, how DID you solve it in the end (if at all?) - did you go the
mini-emitter route?

I know, and agree that mini-emitters would be the "best" from a
technical/reliability viewpoint, but easiest/cheapest holds a lot of sway
too! - If I could only find a blaster type solution that was sufficiently
reliable (I could live with 98% reliability if it was 1-3rd of the cost of
the 100% product...)

If I really _have_ to go down the mini-emitter road, then I suppose that's
what I'll just have to do.... but I'd rather avoid it if possible - it's
quite a bit of work to retro-fit it all onto my AV rack, and makes
upgrading
kit, or re-locating kit within the rack a complete pain - especially if
those emitters are stuck on with hot-glue...., however, in case I have to
investigate this, can you give me any useful tips/pointers on what/where to
buy....

As regards the digibox, I've read of them "crashing" from
time-to-time and
needing power-cycling to "reboot" them... - I've used computer
terminology
deliberately, as these digiboxes are not far from being stripped-down
PC's... but I've not heard of them having the same problem as the 508's -
do
you know if the digibox is suffering from IR psychosis like the 508's or is
it a problem unrelated to IR blasters?

Cheers.

Paul G..

>From: "Mark McCall" <Mark@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Was: Maplin IR repeater in sale, Now: General IR
>query...
>Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:25:14 -0000
>

> > Strangely though, the problem only ever affected one piece of
> > kit: my Pace MSS500IP
>
>Do you mean 508ip?
>
>My 508ip suffers EXACTLY the same problems.  I think it is a well know
>problem with this and similar models.  As you say the only cure is to
>switch
>off at the mains and switch back on again (BTW you'll have to do this
with
>your Digibox occasionally too!!).
>
> > I tend to favour a "blaster" type product rather than
mini-emitters on
>each piece of kit
>
>The blaster is the easiest/cheapest way to go but not the best.
>mini-emitters may solve your problem.
>
>Regards
>
>M.

>Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
>You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
>up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
>http://click.egroups.com/1/332/3/_/2065/_/947157956

>-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ukha_d&m=1

Toys, Books, Software. Save $10 on any order of $25 or more at

SmarterKids.com. Hurry, offer expires 1/15/00.
http://click.egroups.com/1/646/3/_/2065/_/947170634

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications