Re: OT: eGroups moderator question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: OT: eGroups moderator question
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <dbrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:20:29 +0000

>But that doesn't help...
>
>Take this user I want to be able to POST but NOT READ:
>
>- If I moderate things so she IS a subscriber to the group, then she=20
>can go in and read on the web (or, for that matter, amend her
profile=20
>so she gets everything by email.)
>
>- If I moderate things so she IS NOT a subscriber for the group,
then=20
>she can't go in and post (gets the error back "The email address
used=20
>to send your message is not subscribed to this group. ")
>
>How do I set up her account so she can post but prevent her being=20
>able to read messages?

Mark....=20

Based on the mails, I thought I'd have a little play with egroups and have
=
found what might be a solution....

Unlisted group with settings of :-

Anyone can post=20
Unmoderated=20
Replies go to all members of the group=20
Subject tag: [whatever]=20
Restricted membership=20
Language of automated messages: English=20

This means that anyone who goes to your group page (the one I just setup
wa=
s www.egroups.com/group/doogie ) can choose the post link or subscribe,
but=
not read messages. If subscribe is set to restricted then you have to appr=
ove all the accounts so you just don't grant her membership access.

Unfortunately, this means that anyone who visits your group page or the
pos=
t page directly (www.egroups.com/post/doogie) can post to the list... not
a=
problem if it is an obscure name, as long as people don't start playing fu=
nny buggers and setting up other accounts. It also means you have to
author=
ise everyone's account which could be a lot of work depending on staff
turn=
over.

The final option (just using egroups configuration, too lazy to go through
=
all the other options!) would be to set messages only to be read by
moderat=
ors, but all your users except this particular one would have to be
moderat=
ors, meaning they could delete/ edit messages and settings, which could be
=
quite dangerous.

Just my =A30.02

HTH

- -- -[Doogie Brodie]- -- -
- -- -[Senior Developer]- -- -
Total Repair Solutions UK
e dbrodie@xxxxxxx
m +44.705.006.9.007
t +44.141.951.1903
f +44.141.951.1588

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone=20
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10924/1/_/2065/_/977923225/