Coving/Wiring - Long & rambling

  • To: UKHA List <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Coving/Wiring - Long & rambling
  • From: Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:58:28 +0000

In the new year, I'm going to start decorating the living room, which gives
me the ideal chance to put in those extra sockets and wire up ready for the
KAT5's and IR modules.

The floors in the living room are solid, and I don't want to cut grooves in
it in case I break the waterproofing. So that rules out that. Also, I have
no access to the ceiling above the room either, the floor upstairs is solid
"mdf" type stuff and the only cut out I've found in it so far is
in the
corner of my office,very handy for threading wires down into the living
room.

The only option I'm realistically left with is putting the wires behind the
coving, unfortunatly the ceiling is artexted, and I'm not sure if I take
the coving down, I'll be able to get some that fits properly.

I have 2 options as I see it :

1) Take the coving down and risk not being able to find some of the same
width when I come to replace it, or try and blend the new stuff into the
room with some polyfiller to mimick the old artex pattern. (It can be done,
I did it to fill a small hole left when we shot in the plaster on the roof
of a house we were renting, but that's a different story)

2) Try and cut away a small section of the coving in the corners of the
room, and feed the cable behind the coving while it's in situe. The coving
is made of plaster I don't know if that makes it too brittle for cutting,
or if the whole idea of cutting is a bad one anyway.

I could try the skirting boards, but because of the solid floor, I'm not
all that confident that there will be a hole behind it anyway.

What are the wiring regs regarding wiring, low voltage CAT5 mainly with
speaker cable in there too. Could I cut a channel horizontally underneath
the coving to run cable in?

--
,,,
(o o)