RE: X10 reliability

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 reliability
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:47:14 -0000

Steve,

There are 2 main reasons why X10 would not work.....

1. Interference signal effectively jamming X10 transmissions
2. No signal - caused by something swallowing the transmissions.

In either case it appears to be "blocked"

If its [1] then the problem will only occur when the offending appliance is running eg. Fridge or Hoover.
If its [2] then the problem can occur either when the equipment is ON or OFF. Some devices have inteference suppression fitted before the On/Off switch and as such it is permanently across the mains even when OFF. To eliminate that device you need to unplug it from the mains. Others have the suppression after tha mains switch so will only cause problems when ON.

One further point to note is that any one appliance may not be enough to stop X10 but may reduce the signal strength to a poing where only some modules or locations stop working. The CUMULATIVE effect of several devices may be what is causing the problem.

HTH

Keith

PS Must remember to write an FAQ with this sort of stuff in it.